Contents of this website are freeware and/or copyrighted material, and may not be sold
under any circumstances.
Credits & Specs
A while back I'd purchased a Mamod SE3 in
moderate condition, needing a few parts & cleaning.
Later I stumbled upon the Gakken Mechamo Centipede kit, and recalled Crabfu and his R/C Steam
Centipede. The result was inevitable... the
centipede arrived, got assembled, and then the real construction began!
Power: Mamod SE3
Boiler, two Wilseco D49 Marine Engines
Alcohol (ie: paint thinner)
Sheet Metal & Brass Fittings
DX6, two Futaba S3010 servos
Runtime: 10 minutes
Weight: 6.5 lbs
The Locopede's bodywork was based on Crabfu's early centipede
pictures. He had a steam locomotive look going I really
liked. Unfortunately the rear-cab on his was removed, but I
decided mine would have one. A little wood trim & brass
thrown in enhances the Victorian look.
The body is made from 0.032" aluminum sheets,
which are easy to cut & bend. The frontend was made
from a single large sheet in two mirror images, bent into shape, then
JB Welded together down the center of the
"cow-catcher". The rearend was made from K&S sheets in
smaller pieces, then bolted together with brass hex screws.
Nothing but hand tools, drill & a vise were used.
I did upgrade my toolbox with a metal
nibbler however to make cutting square holes easier.
Because of all the odd angles, I first created templates from paper
before cutting metal. Good thing too since my initial
guestimates were way off. Once the shapes were finalized I
traced the outlines onto aluminum sheets & started
cutting. The interior holes were first drilled, then
nibbled, then filed into shape.
|The fenders were a bit
tricky. The sidepanels are inclined, and I wanted the fenders
level with the ground. To keep the curved portion tight against
an incline required a little math. A few measurements &
minutes in a spreadsheet yielded the
The hand rails were made from 1/16" brass rod & mounts I made from
1/8" square-bar brass. I drilled holes, then cut the bits
to length. Each handrail mount was fixed in my drill &
filed down on one end. All the bits were then soldered
Some mahogany strips cover rough edges, fire resistant bbq paint in the
front & engine enamel paint in the rear & fenders, and more
soldered 1/8" square-bar brass was used to make the cow-catcher (or
pilot) mounted on the front for finishing
touches. The R/C steam locopede/centipede for your viewing